POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Suggestions for next POV-Ray : Re: Suggestions for next POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions for next POV-Ray
From: James Coons
Date: 6 Oct 2004 23:27:00
Message: <4164b784@news.povray.org>
Hello POV Team:

I have a few suggestions for the next POV-Ray:

1. I often have multiple source files open at one time. I would like a way
to "Add current Source File" to Queue (without writing a macro). I usually
do the following:

   FILE | SAVE AS | copy/paste file name
   QUEUE | ADD | paste file name | OK

2. I would like to be able to re-order the Queue (Click, UP|DOWN, etc).

3. I would like to be able to add an item to the Queue, but disable it. For
instance, I could manually disable the "long" renders to allow the short
renders to run. Then, when the short ones are done, I could enable the long
ones.

4. I would like to see a built-in Spline Editor, Lathe Creator, Polygon,
SOR, etc. Set a "bounding box" (to determine where in the final image the
object would go), then set points, average, flip, etc. The results could go
into the ClipBoard or into a new file. Also, the ability to manually "trace"
an actual photograph to create a spline/polygon/lathe/SOR - THAT WOULD BE
GREAT! Nothing automatic - that would be too complicated.

5. "Pop-Up" Scene Definition Language Syntax Help (a fast alternate to [F1]
or the INSERT Menu. Click on "light_source", press [Shift F1] (or whatever),
the complete syntax would be copied to the Clipboard or pulled into the
editor. I like how Visual Basic does it (HelpText below the cursor during
typing), but that would probably require rewriting the entire editor.

6. The option to edit an include File by right-clicking it is great, but I
would like a button to do that (click on the line, "Edit COLORS.INC" button
appears or enableds).

7. Certain INI Options are set quite often (pretrace, vistas_on, etc) - It
would be nice to have a checkbox or dropdowns that would directly edit the
INI File and make the changes (in addition to anything else that one might
wish to edit there).

8. It would be nice to incorporate INI options directly into the source
code, like MegaPov does.

9. Are MegaPov features considered for incorporation into the "official"
Pov-Ray?

10. Output directly to JPG format, specifying the image quality in-line.

11. I would like a "flag" ("/overwrite", for instance) that would update an
existing image (assuming the same size and type) when selecting a screen
region. For instance, I adjust the reflectivity of a small object, highlight
just that object, re-render it and the rendered results are written "in the
right spot" into the target image, instead of the original image being
deleted.

Just food for thought.

James Coons